Another day in paradise..

Roopa Aragolam's blogosphere..

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Office Story

First the mundane stuff:There is this place where I work part-time. It is a services oriented company . Currently we are four of us working. We girls mostly take care of the 'office' work while my only male colleague Hari, being the senior, has more responsibilities including co-ordinating with all of us and our other branches. Seems like a female-dominated place don't it? Except that it is not.

To say that Hari is not the best co-worker I could've got is a terrible understatement. He browses through obscenities while in office, flirts with people over phone, hits on the customers who come to office (he would try to call me by pulling my shoulder during my initial days but I showed him his place.)Even if all these are ignored, since they do not affect me personally, there is more to him.Being a senior to us, he tries to assign most of his work to us.I remember my initial days when he used to be out everyday for couple of hours during office hours. I was shouted at for politely asking if I should put extra hours during the the time he was not-for apparently 'questioning his commitment to work'. I had promptly burst into tears.

No girl lasts for more than 2 months in our office. And I think surviving for even 2 months is an achievement in itself. For one thing the work we do kind of takes time to learn. But the primary reason is Hari.There can be two different cases: If according to him , the girl is not good looking,even if she misses crossing a t or dotting an i, the comments are" you are miserable and you make me feel miserable'. In case she is good-looking,for the smallest of works done, he congratulates the girl by shaking hands,patting on back etc..There are even some compliments like 'Your hair smells so good' or 'you are smelling fresh today ' thrown in in-between.

Either way the girl quits and the owner of the business who hardly comes to the office, has no clue why.

I have been working there for about a year now...He doesn't mess with me for various reasons and I haven't quit for various reasons.But then, I haven't learnt some important things from this place. Now, not only from him, but I don't tolerate nonsense from anyone. I don't keep quiet if I see anything unfair.All those people-men or women who silently accept unjust treatment in office-the more you stomach such things, the more the world will try to trample you. Speak out, and stand up for yourself and the world will bend for you.

0 Comments: